REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The air cleaner element should be checked periodically. Regular air cleaner element replacement is a must, since a partially clogged element will cause a performance loss, decreased fuel mileage, and engine damage (if enough dirt gets into the cylinders and contaminates the engine oil.
- Replacement of the element is simply a matter of removing the wing nut(s) or clamps from the air cleaner lid. Some assemblies have screws to hold down the lid along with the clamps.
- Once this is done lift off the lid, and remove the old filter element.
- Wipe the inside of the housing with a damp cloth before placing the new element into the housing.
- Place the new element in the housing.
- Install the lid and tighten. On vehicles with wing nut(s), just snug it down with moderate finger pressure. Excessive tightening of the wing nut(s) will damage components.
- On vehicles with screws and clamps, simply tighten the screws and hook the clamps.
Never attempt to clean or soak the element in gasoline, oil, or cleaning solvent. The element is designed to be a throw-away item.