REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the intermediate shaft seal and remove intermediate shaft-to-stub shaft pinch bolt.
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands, then remove both front wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the cotter pins and nuts from both tie rod ends. Using tool J-6627 or BT-7101, press the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
- If equipped with an Air Management pipe, remove the bracket bolt from the crossmember.
- Remove the 2 rear cradle mounting bolts and lower the rear of the cradle about 4-5 in. (102-127mm).
If the rear of the cradle is lowered too far, the engine components nearest the cowl may be damaged.
- If equipped, remove the rack and pinion heat shield.
- Remove the rack and pinion mounting bolts, then the gear assembly through the left wheel opening.
- Install the gear assembly through the left wheel opening and install the mounting bolts.
- Install the heat shield.
- Raise the rear of the cradle and install the mounting bolts.
- Install the bracket bolt to the crossmember under the air management pipe.
- Install the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles, install the retaining nuts and insert new cotter pins.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Install the intermediate shaft seal and the intermediate shaft-to-stub shaft pinch bolt.
- Check and adjust the toe-in as necessary.