REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the hoses at the pump and tape the openings shut to prevent contamination. Position the disconnected lines in a raised position to prevent leakage.
- Remove the pump belt.
On some 4-cylinder models it may be necessary to:
- Remove the radiator hose clamp bolt.
- Remove the right side fender splash shield.
On 2.8L models:
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at the blower motor.
- Drain the cooling system, then remove the heater hose at the water pump.
- On 3.0L models, remove the alternator.
Removing a component such as the alternator may make the job easier on any model.
- Loosen the retaining bolts and any braces, then remove the pump.
- Remove the pump pulley and attach it to the new pump, as illustrated.
- Install the pump and brackets to the engine and hand-tighten the retaining bolts.
On 3.0L models:
- Install the alternator support to the engine.
- Position the alternator adjustment bracket over the front pump adjustment bracket.
- Install the long bolt and alternator bracket, front pump bracket, rear pump bracket, and alternator support to the engine.
- Attach the remaining alternator adjustment bracket bolt.
- Install the power steering pump belt.
- Raise the car, then install the rear pump adjustment bracket-to-pump nut.
- Connect and tighten the hose fittings.
- On 3.0L models, lower the vehicle, then install the alternator and belt.
- On some 4-cylinder models, you will need to install the radiator hose clamp bolt.
On 2.8L models:
- Connect the water hose to the water pump.
- Install and connect the blower motor.
- Refill the pump with fluid and bleed the system.
- Install the pump belt and adjust the tension.
- On 3.0L models, install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 6
- Remove the drive belt.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the right front wheel.
- Remove the front pulley and harmonic balancer.
- Disconnect the hoses from the pump.
- Drain the fluid from the power steering reservoir.
- Disconnect the pressure line at the pump.
- Remove the one bolt and two nuts from the rear bracket.
- Remove the pump with the brackets.
- Remove the pulley and brackets.
- Install the brackets and pulley to the pump.
- Attach the pump with the brackets on the engine.
- Install the two nuts and one bolt on the rear bracket, then tighten.
- Connect the pressure line and tighten. Then connect the reservoir line to the pump.
- Install the harmonic balancer with the bolt and washer, tighten the bolt to 203-350 ft. lbs. (275-475 Nm).
- Attach the pulley, tighten the four bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the right front wheel, install the lug nuts.
- Lower the car, tighten the lug nuts.
- Install the drive belt.
- Fill the power steering reservoir.
- Bleed the system.
See Figure 7
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Raise the front of the vehicle enough to get the wheels off the ground.
- Turn the steering wheel completely to the left.
- Fill the fluid reservoir to the FULL COLD level, make sure to leave the cap off.
- Let the fluid stand undisturbed for two minutes, then crank the engine for about two seconds. Refill reservoir if necessary.
- With an assistant checking the fluid level and condition, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock at least 20 times, while the engine remains off.
- Start the engine, then while idling maintain the fluid level. Install the cap.
- Return the wheels to the center, then lower the front end to the ground.
- Turn the wheels to the left and right, checking the fluid level and refilling if necessary.