On vehicles equipped with an SIR (air bag) system, disable the system before proceeding, by following the instructions at the beginning of this section. Failure to do so could result in accidental inflation of the air bag and personal injury.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disable the SIR system if equipped with an air bag.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On vehicles equipped with an air bag, follow the special instructions in this section on steering wheel removal.
Whenever carrying a live inflator module, make sure that the bag and opening are pointed away from you. Never carry the module by the wires or connector on the underside of the module. In case of an accidental deployment, the bag will deploy with minimal amount of injury. When placing the live inflator on a bench or any other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. Never rest a steering column assembly on the steering wheel with the inflator module face down on the column vertical. This will allow free space for the bag to expand in case of accidental deployment. Otherwise, personal injury could result.
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined. Remove the trim cover.
- Loosen the cover screws. Pry the cover off with a flat-bladed tool, then lift the cover off the shaft.
- Position the U-shaped lockplate compressing tool on the end of the steering shaft and compress the lock plate by turning the shaft nut clockwise, then pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove.
- Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
- Slip the canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer off the shaft.