It is necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure to reduce the risk of fire or personal injury. Have a shop rag handy in case of any spilt fuel when disconnecting fuel lines.
- Loosen the fuel filler cap on the vehicle.
- Raise the vehicle, then disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Start and run the engine until the fuel supply remaining in the fuel lines is consumed.
- Engage the starter for three seconds to allow relief of any remaining pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.