REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Relieve the fuel system pressure as described above.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect all wiring from the idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, and the fuel injector.
- Remove the grommet with wires from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the linkage from the unit.
- Mark and disconnect the vacuum lines from the unit.
- Follow the CAUTION under the fuel Pressure Test above, then disconnect the fuel feed and return lines from the unit. Discard the fuel line O-rings.
- Unbolt and remove the unit and flange gasket, then discard the gasket.
- Place a cover over the throttle body opening on the manifold to prevent dirt from entering the engine.
- Clean the gasket surface on the throttle body and the intake manifold.
- Install a new flange gasket, then mount the TBI unit to the manifold.
- Tighten the TBI attaching bolts to 10-18 ft. lbs. (13-24 Nm).
- Slip the new O-rings onto the fuel lines, then attach the fuel feed and return lines to the throttle body. The use of a fuel line wrench is needed for tightening the lines.
- Tighten the line nuts to 18-20 ft. lbs. (24-27 Nm).
- Attach the marked vacuum lines to there proper locations, then connect the linkages.
- Install the grommet with the wires to the throttle body, along with any other electrical connections. Make sure all the connections are properly seated.
- Tighten the fuel filler cap, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect with the engine OFF to see that the accelerator pedal is free, depress the pedal to the floor and release. Until this is the case then you can proceed.
- Turn the ignition switch ON for two seconds, then turn the ignition OFF for ten seconds. Again turn the ignition ON and check for leaks.
- Attach the air cleaner assembly and gasket.
Reset the Idle Air Control valve pintle position.
- Block the drive wheels, then apply the Parking brake.
- Start the engine, then hold the idle speed above 2000 rpm. Ground the diagnostic test terminal (ALDL) for ten seconds, then remove the ground.
- Turn the ignition OFF , then restart the engine and check for proper idle operation.