The six-way power seat adjusters are actuated by three 12V, reversible permanent magnet motors with built in circuit breakers. The motors drive the front and rear vertical gearnuts and a horizontal actuator. When the adjusters are at their limit of travel, an overload relay provides stall torque so the motors are not overloaded. Each motor can be serviced as a separate unit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the seat assembly from the vehicle as outlined in this section.
- Place the seat with the adjuster assembly attached upside down on a clean, protected surface. Do not leave a seat upside down on the cushion or damage to the cushion may occur.
- Detach the electrical connectors, as equipped.
Remove the finish panels using the following procedure:
- Remove the recliner handle. Use a small flat-bladed tool to carefully release the wire retainer from the base of the recliner handle.
- Remove the finish panel screws.
- Pull the finish panel away from the seat cushion frame to release the clips. Discard the clips. GM specifies that new clips must be used at assembly.
- Detach the power seat electrical connector.
- Remove the finish panel from the seat.
- Remove the adjuster-to-seat cushion frame bolts.
- Separate the adjuster assembly from the seat frame.
- Disconnect the drive cables by squeezing the oblong connector at the motors and the vertical/horizontal actuators. To gain access to the cable connector at the motor for the inboard (passenger side) or outboard (driver's side) rear vertical gearnut, initial removal of the nut securing the motor support bracket is suggested.
- If necessary, separate the left and right adjusters by unbolting the crossbrace.
- Tag for identification the electrical connectors. With the electrical wiring harness connectors detached from the motors, remove the nut securing the actuator motor bracket to the seat adjuster assembly.
- If not already done, remove the cables from the motors.
- Remove the defective motor as required.
- Install the replacement motor(s) as required.
- Connect the cables to the motors.
- Install the nut securing the actuator motor bracket to the seat adjuster assembly. Tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
Attach the electrical connectors to the motors.
- The black connector goes to the front vertical motor.
- The blue connector goes to the rear vertical motor.
- The white connector goes to the horizontal motor.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal process. Attach the crossbrace to the left and right adjusters making sure the tab bending downward at the center of the crossbrace faces the rear of the adjusters. Secure with the two bolts, tightened to 53 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).