REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with safety stands.
- Remove the jack pad from the middle of the spring.
- If equipped with dual exhaust, remove the exhaust system.
- Remove the spring retention plates.
- Disconnect the right trailing arm from the knuckle.
- If equipped, detach the ABS electrical harness.
- Separate the rear leaf spring, using compressor tool J 35778 or equivalent, from the center shank and hang the center shank of the tool at the spring center.
- Install the compressor body to the center shank and spring. Center the spring on the rollers of the spring compressor only.
- Fully compress the spring using the spring compressor tool J 35778, or equivalent.
- Slide the spring to the left side. It may be necessary to pry the spring to the left using a prybar against the right knuckle. When prying, be careful not to damage any components.
- Relax the spring to provide removal clearance from the right side, then remove the spring.
- Using the spring compressor tool, compress the spring and install it through the left knuckle. Slide towards the left side as far as possible and raise the right side of the spring as far as possible.
- Compress the spring fully and install it into right knuckle.
- Center the spring to align the holes for the spring retention plate bolts.
- Install the spring retention plates and bolts. Do NOT tighten at this time.
- Position the trailing arm and install the bolt. Tighten the bolt to 177 ft. lbs. (239 Nm).
- Remove the spring compressor tool.
- Tighten the spring retention plate bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the jack pads and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.