REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the exhaust inlet and outlet pipes at the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the oil feed pipe from the center housing rotating assembly.
- Remove the nut attaching the air intake elbow to the carburetor and remove the elbow; still attached to the flex tube, from the carburetor.
- Disconnect the accelerator, cruise and detent linkage at the carb. Remove the linkage bracket from the plenum.
- Remove the two bolts attaching the plenum to the side bracket.
- Disconnect the fuel line and all the vacuum hoses.
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses from the front and rear of the plenum.
- Disconnect the plenum front bracket by removing one bolt attaching the bracket to the intake manifold. Leave the bracket attached to the manifold.
- Remove the two bolts attaching the turbine housing to the bracket on the intake manifold.
- Unscrew the two mounting bolts and then remove the EGR valve manifold.
- Loosen the clamp attaching the hose from the air by-pass to the pipe to the check valve.
- Unscrew the three compressor housing-to-intake manifold mounting bolts.
- Remove the turbocharger, actuator (still attached to the carburetor) and plenum assembly from the engine.
- Unscrew the six bolts and separate the turbocharger assembly from the carburetor.
- Remove the oil drain from the center housing rotating assembly.
- Install the oil drain to the center housing rotating assembly.
Throughout the installation procedure, use new gaskets wherever necessary.
- Connect the turbocharger assembly to the carburetor and secure using the six bolts.
- Install the turbocharger, actuator and plenum assembly to the engine.
- Install and tighten the three compressor housing-to-intake manifold mounting bolts.
- Make sure the hose from the air by-pass to the pipe to the check valve is in position and tighten the retaining clamp.
- Install the EGR valve and tighten the two mounting bolts.
- Secure the turbine housing to the bracket on the intake manifold using the retaining bolts.
- Reposition the plenum front bracket and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Connect the coolant hoses to the front and rear of the plenum.
- Connect the fuel line and the vacuum hoses.
- Secure the plenum to the side bracket using the two bolts.
- Install the linkage bracket to the plenum, then connect the accelerator, cruise and detent linkage at the carb.
- Install the elbow, still attached to the flex tube, to the carburetor and secure using the nut.
- Connect the oil feed pipe to the center housing rotating assembly.
- Connect the exhaust inlet and outlet pipes to the turbocharger.
- Connect the negative battery cable and properly refill the engine cooling system.