REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When removing the door, it is easier to remove the hinges because the hinge-to-body retainers are usually more accessible than the hinge-to-door attachment.
- If equipped with power door accessories, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark the position of the door hinges to the body. This should be done to make the installation easier and assure proper adjustment of the doors during installation.
- If equipped with power operated components, remove the trim panel and detach the inner panel water deflector sufficiently to disconnect the wiring harness from the components. Separate and remove the rubber conduit and the wiring harness from the door.
- With the aid of an assistant (to support the door), remove the upper and lower hinge-to-body bolts, then carefully remove the door from the vehicle.
- With the help of an assistant to lift and support the door, position the door to the vehicle and loosely install the hinge-to-body bolts.
- Align the matchmarks made earlier to assure proper door adjustment, then have the assistant hold the door in that position while you tighten the retaining bolts to 15-21 ft. lbs. (20-28 Nm).
- If equipped, install the rubber conduit and wiring harness to the door, then connect the harness to the power components. Secure the inner panel water deflector, then install the trim panel.
- Carefully close the door and verify proper adjustment. If necessary, readjust the door for proper operation.
- If applicable, connect the negative battery cable.
See Figures 1 and 2
The door adjustments are made possible through the use of floating anchor plates in the door and the body hinge pillars.
- Remove the door lock striker from the body and allow the door to hang freely on it's hinges.
- Using the Door Hinge tool No. J-28500, or equivalent, loosen the door hinge-to-body pillar bolts.
- Using the body hinge pillar attachments, adjust the door up/down and fore/aft.
If a rearward adjustment is made, it may be necessary to replace the jamb switch.
- At the door hinge pillar attachments, adjust the door in and out.
- After adjusting the door, torque the door hinge-to-body pillar to 15-21 ft. lbs. (20-28 Nm).
- Align and install the door lock striker.