An emissions indicator flag may appear in the odometer window of the speedometer on some vehicles. The flag could say SENSOR, EMISSIONS or CATALYST depending on the part or assembly that is scheduled for regular emissions maintenance replacement. The word SENSOR indicates a need for oxygen sensor replacement and the words EMISSIONS or CATALYST indicate the need for catalytic converter catalyst replacement.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel trim plate. Some plates are snapped in position while others use visible or hidden fasteners. Be careful when removing trim pieces as they are easily broken.
- Remove the instrument cluster lens.
- Locate the flag indicator reset notches at the drivers side of the odometer.
- Use a pointed tool to apply light downward pressure on the notches, until the indicator is reset.
- When the indicator is reset an alignment mark will appear in the left center of the odometer window.
- Once the indicator is reset, temporarily connect the negative battery cable and check to make sure the light is extinguished. Then disconnect the battery cable again for safety.
- Install the instrument cluster lens and the trim plate.
- Connect the negative battery cable.