The door locks uses a fork bolt lock design which includes a safety interlock feature. The door is securely closed when the door lock fork bolt engages the striker bolt.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
NEVER attempt to make repairs to the lock assembly; replace it.
- Remove the door trim, then detach the insulator pad (if equipped) and the inner panel water deflector sufficiently to access the door lock.
- If working on the front doors, remove the inner panel cam.
- If working on the rear doors, remove the stationary window and the ventilator assembly.
- Disengage the inside handle and the power lock connecting rods (if equipped).
If equipped with power locks on the front door, remove the electric lock actuator by performing the following procedures;
- Using a center punch, drive the center pins out of pop rivets.
- Drill the heads off of the pop rivets using a 1 / 4 in. drill bit.
- Disengage the connecting rod, the electrical connector and the actuator through the access hole.
On some models, it may be necessary to remove the inside handle, the lock and the connecting rod as a unit.
- Remove the lock-to-door screws and the lock through the access hole.
- Attach the spring clips to the lock assembly, then install the lock through the access hole and secure using the retaining screws. Tighten the door lock-to-door screws to 80-100 inch lbs. (9-11 Nm).
If working on the front door of the sedan models, engage the lock cylinder-to-lock and the outside handle-to-lock connecting rods.
- If equipped with a remote lock button, engage the locking rod from the door lock(s).
When attaching the power door lock actuator to the door, use1/4in. x1/2in. pop rivets or nuts/bolts.
- If equipped with power locks on the front door, install the electric lock actuator using pop rivets or retainers.
- Engage the inside handle and the power lock connecting rods (if equipped).
- If working on the rear doors, install the stationary window and the ventilator assembly.
- If working on the front doors, install the inner panel cam.
- Reposition the inner panel water deflector, then install the insulator pad (if equipped) and the door trim.