REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The back-up light switch is mounted on the mast jacket of the column assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the wiring connectors at the switch terminals.
- Remove the screws attaching the switch to the mast jacket, then remove the switch assembly.
- Position the column shift tube in the REVERSE detent using the 1st/Reverse lower shift lever.
- Position the switch on the column with the drive tang in the slot in the shift tube and the right side of the tang contacting the right surface of the shift tube slot.
- Holding the switch in position, install the two attaching screws.
Moving the gear selector lever out of REVERSE will break the shear pin.
- Plug the wiring connector on the switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then verify proper switch operation.
The back-up light switch is mounted on the transmission.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands.
- Disengage the switch wiring from the harness wiring at the in-line connector.
- Remove the bolt retaining the wiring attaching clip to the transmission.
- Remove the wire clip retaining the reverse lever rod to the switch.
- Remove the screws retaining the switch and shield assembly to the transmission, then remove the switch.
Do not remove the transmission-to-bracket retaining bolts.To install:
- Install the switch and shield assembly to the transmission and secure using the retaining bolts.
- Engage the reverse lever rod to the switch and secure using the wire clip.
- Install the bolt retaining the wiring clip to the transmission.
- Engage the switch wiring to the in-line harness connector.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable and verify proper switch operation.