REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 15
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the hush panel.
- Disconnect the clutch master cylinder push rod from the clutch pedal.
- Refer to the "Transaxle, Removal and Installation" procedures in this section and remove the transaxle.
- With the transaxle removed, matchmark the pressure plate and flywheel assembly to insure proper balance during reassembly.
- Loosen the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts (one turn at a time) until the spring pressure is removed.
- Support the pressure plate and remove the bolts.
- Remove the pressure plate and disc assembly; be sure to note the flywheel side of the clutch disc.
- Clean and inspect the clutch assembly, flywheel, release bearing, clutch fork and pivot shaft for signs of wear. Replace any necessary parts.
- Position the clutch disc and pressure plate in the appropriate position, align the "Heavy Side" of the flywheel assembly stamped with an X with the clutch cover "Light Side" marked with paint. Support the assembly with Alignment tool No. J-290742 or equivalent.
The clutch disc is installed with the damper springs offset towards the transaxle. Stamped letters on the clutch disc identify "Flywheel Side". Make sure the clutch disc is facing the same direction it was when removed. If the same pressure plate is being reused, align the marks made during the removal.
- Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel retaining bolts.
- For 1988-90 vehicles, tighten the flywheel-to-pressure plate bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- For 1991-96 vehicles, tighten the flywheel-to-pressure plate bolts as follows:
- Remove the alignment tool.
- Lightly lubricate the clutch fork ends. Fill the recess ends of the release bearing with grease. Lubricate the input shaft with a light coat of grease.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures.
The clutch lever must not be moved towards the flywheel until the transaxle is bolted to the engine. Damage to the transaxle, release bearing and clutch fork could occur if this is not followed.
- Bleed the clutch system and check the clutch operation when finished.