REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1990 2.3 and 3.1L Engines
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the slave cylinder nuts at the transaxle.
- Disconnect the quick connect fitting on the hydraulic line and remove the slave cylinder from the vehicle.
- Attach the quick-connect fitting on the hydraulic line and install the master cylinder to the vehicle.
- Install the slave cylinder to the transmission support bracket, aligning the pushrod into the pocket on the clutch fork lever. Tighten the retaining nuts evenly to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Depress the clutch pedal several times to break the plastic retaining straps; DO NOT remove the plastic button from the end of the push rod.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING
- Remove any dirt or grease around the reservoir cap so that dirt cannot enter the system.
- Fill the reservoir with an approved DOT 3 brake fluid.
- Loosen, but do not remove, the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder.
- Fluid will now flow from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder.
It is important that the reservoir remain filled throughout the procedure.
- Air bubbles should now appear at the bleeder screw.
- Continue this procedure until a steady stream of fluid without any air bubbles is present.
- Tighten the bleeder screw. Check the fluid level in the reservoir and refill to the proper mark.
- The system is now fully bled. Check the clutch operation by starting the engine, pushing the clutch pedal to the floor and placing the transmission in reverse.
- If any grinding of the gears is noted, repeat the entire procedure.
Never under any circumstances reuse fluid that has been in the system. The fluid may be contaminated with dirt and moisture.1990-96 Vehicles
- Disconnect the slave cylinder from the transaxle.
- Loosen the master cylinder mounting attaching nuts. Do not remove the master cylinder.
- Remove any dirt or grease around the reservoir cap so dirt cannot enter the system. Fill the reservoir with an approved DOT 3 brake fluid.
- Depress the hydraulic actuator cylinder pushrod approximately 0.787 in. (20mm) into the slave cylinder bore and hold.
- install the diaphragm and cap on the reservoir while holding the slave cylinder pushrod.
- Release the slave cylinder pushrod.
- Hold the slave cylinder vertically with the pushrod end facing the ground.
The slave cylinder should be lower than the master cylinder.
- Press the pushrod into the slave cylinder bore with short 0.390 in. (10mm) strokes.
- Observe the reservoir for air bubbles. Continue until air bubbles no longer enter the reservoir.
- Connect the slave cylinder to the transaxle.
- Tighten the master cylinder attaching nuts.
- Top-up the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
- To test the system, start the engine and push the clutch pedal to the floor. Wait 10 seconds and select reverse gear. There should be no gear clash. If clash is present, air may still be present in the system. Repeat bleeding procedure.