The 7x Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor, used on 1996 3.1L (VIN M) engines, provides a signal to the PCM through the ignition control module. The PCM uses this signal to determine RPM and crankshaft position.
For 7X Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor testing, please refer to the procedure under 3X CKP sensor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Detach the CKP sensor harness connector from the module.
- Unfasten the mounting bolt, then remove the CKP sensor from the vehicle.
- Install the CKP sensor into the engine block.
- Install the retaining bolt and tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Attach the sensor harness connector to the module.
- Install the starter motor.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.