See Figure 1
- Operate the folding top to the full up position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rear seat cushion and rear seatback to gain access to the motor/pump unit.
- Disconnect the wiring harness at the motor.
- Place absorbent rags below the hose connections and end of the reservoir.
- Remove the filler plug to vent the reservoir; then replace the plug in the reservoir.
Venting the reservoir on this sealed-in unit is necessary to equalize air pressure in the reservoir to that of the atmosphere. This prevents fluid from being forced out under pressure from the disconnected lines and causing damage to the trim or body finish.
- Disconnect the hydraulic lines, cap the open fittings and remove the motor/pump unit.
- Fill the reservoir with Dexron®II automatic transmission fluid.
- Make sure all the threaded parts have a seal ring in place and connect the hoses and wiring.
- Connect the battery cable and operate the top through up and down cycles until all the air has been bled from the hydraulic circuit.
- Check the connections for leaks and recheck the fluid in the reservoir. The level should be even with the fill hole.
- Install the rear seat back and cushion.