REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the 11-pin (1990-92 vehicles), or 8-pin (1993-94 vehicles) harness connector from the coil and module assembly.
- Remove the 4 ignition assembly-to-camshaft housing attaching bolts.
- Carefully remove the ignition coil and module assembly from the engine.
If the spark plug boots stick to the plugs, use tool J 36011, or equivalent, to remove the boots by first twisting, then pulling up on the retainers.
- Install the spark plug boots and retainers on the ignition assembly housing secondary terminals.
If the boots and retainers are not in place on the housing secondary terminals prior to installing the ignition assembly, damage to the ignition system may result.
- Position the ignition assembly to the engine while carefully aligning the boots to the spark plug terminals.
- Coat the ignition assembly-to-camshaft housing attaching bolts with 1052080 or equivalent lubricant and install them into the housing.
- Tighten the attaching bolts to 16-19 ft. lbs. (22-26 Nm).
- Attach the harness connector to the ignition coil module assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine check for proper operation and performance.