REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 2.3L Engine
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the pressure and return hoses from the pump and drain the system into a suitable container.
- Cap or plug the fittings at the pump.
- Using a 12 in. (305mm) adjustable wrench, on the tensioner casting, loosen the belt tensioner. Lift the belt off the pulley.
- Locate the 3 pump attaching bolts through the access hole in the pulley and remove the bolts.
- On the 2.0L and 2.2L engine, remove the bolt from the rear of the pump.
- Remove the pump assembly.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten the power steering pump bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) for the 2.8L and 3.1L engines and to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) for the 2.0L and 2.2L cylinder engines.
- Refill power steering pump reservoir and bleed the system as outlined later in this section.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the power brake booster line.
- Remove the poly-groove drive belt.
- Detach the electrical connector from the idle speed power steering pressure switch.
- Remove the pump bracket bolts and bracket.
- Unfasten the hose clamp and return hose.
- Remove the attaching bolt and remove the pressure pipe to the pump.
- Unfasten the pump pivot bracket bolts, then remove the bracket.
- Remove the bolts attaching the pivot bracket to the pump.
- Remove the pulley from the pump, as necessary.
- Install the pulley to the pump, as necessary.
- Install the bolts attaching the pivot bracket to the pump and tighten to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Install the pump pivot bracket with the pump into position and tighten the bolt hand-tight.
- Install the poly groove drive belt.
- Tighten the pivot bracket bolts to specifications. Tighten the bolt closest to the pump to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm) and tighten the bolt furthest to the pump to 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
- Install the pump bracket and bolts to 39 ft. lbs. (53 Nm) for the bottom, 39 ft. lbs. (53 Nm) for the stud and 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm) for the bottom.
- Install the pressure pipe to the pump and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the bolt attaching the pressure pipe to the pump and tighten to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Install the return hose and clamp.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Bleed the power steering system, as outlined later in this section.
See Figure 5
Automatic transmission fluid is NOT compatible with the seals and hoses of the power steering system. Under no circumstances should automatic transmission be used in place of power steering fluid in this system.
- With the engine turned OFF, turn the wheels all the way to the left.
- Fill the reservoir with power steering fluid until the level is at the COLD mark on the reservoir.
- Start and operate the engine at fast idle for 15 seconds. Turn the engine OFF.
- Recheck the fluid level and fill it to the COLD mark.
- Start the engine and bleed the system by turning the wheels in both directions slowly to the stops.
- Stop the engine and check the fluid. Fluid that still has air in it will be a light tan color.
- Repeat this procedure until all air is removed from the system.