REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Turn the steering wheel so the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- From the rear of the steering wheel, remove the horn cover-to-steering wheel screws. Detach the horn electrical connector from the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel-to-column retainer, nut, washer (if equipped) and damper assembly.
- Using a marking tool, mark the steering wheel alignment with the steering shaft for realignment purposes.
- Using the Steering Wheel Puller tool No. J-1859-03 or equivalent, press the steering wheel from the steering column.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, disable the SIR system as outlined in Chassis Electrical , then remove the inflator module as follows:
Rotate the steering wheel so the access holes on the back of the steering wheel are at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. This will allow tool access and reduce the possibility of marring the steering column cover.
- Remove the 4 screws from the back of the inflator module.
- Remove the inflator module from the steering wheel.
- Remove the Connector Positive Assurance (CPA) from the inflator module electrical connector and detach the connector.
- For vehicles without air bags, remove the horn cover-to-steering wheel screws.
- Disconnect the horn electrical connector from the steering wheel and remove the horn contact.
- Remove the steering wheel-to-column retainer, nut and washer.
- Mark the steering wheel alignment with the steering shaft for installation purposes.
- Using a steering wheel puller, press the steering wheel from the steering column.
Under no circumstances should the steering wheel or shaft be hammered on. Sharp blows to the steering column could loosen the plastic injections which maintain column rigidity.To install:
- If equipped with SIR, feed the coil assembly connector through the steering wheel.
- Align the matchmarks made during removal and install the steering wheel.
- Align the steering wheel with the turn signal cancelling cam assembly.
- Install the hexagon locking nut. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- If equipped with SIR, install the inflator module, as follows:
If equipped, install the inflator module, as follow:
- Connect the coil assembly connector. Install the CPA into the connector.
Ensure that no wires at the back of the inflator module are pinched when aligning the inflator module to the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.