REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Turn the ignition to the ON position.
- With the wipers ON, turn the ignition OFF when the wiper arm is at the mid-wipe position.
- Lift the wiper arm from the windshield and pull the retaining latch.
- Remove the wiper arm and blade assembly from the transmission shaft.
- Install the arm on the transmission shaft.
- Push the retaining latch in and return the arm to the windshield.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position, then put the wipers in the park position.
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Turn the ignition ON , place the wiper system in the park position, then turn the ignition OFF .
- Detach the washer fluid hose from the connector of the washer hose assembly.
- Remove the protective plastic cap from the wiper arm shaft.
- Lift the wiper arm, then insert a suitable pin completely through the 2 holes located next the pivot of the arm.
- Remove the nut securing the wiper arm.
- Remove the arm by lifting off the shaft, using an up and down rocking motion. It may be necessary to use a tool such as a battery terminal puller to remove the arm from the shaft.
- If necessary, replace the wiper blade at this time, as outlined in Routine Maintenance of this guide.
See Figures 8, 9, 10 and 11To install:
- Clean the metal shavings from the knurls of the shaft before installation.
- Place the wiper arm and blade assembly on the transmission drive shaft so the wiper arm assembly is 1 in. (25mm) below the stop surface of the park ramp. See accompanying figure for details.
- Remove the pivot prevention pin from the wiper arm.
You MUST use a torque wrench to tighten the wiper arm nut to the proper specifications.
- Install a new nut and tighten, using a torque wrench, to 14.7-17.7 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm) for 1990-92 vehicles or to 22.5 ft. lbs. (30.5 Nm) for 1993-96 vehicles.
- Attach the wiper arm hose to the connector of the washer hose assembly, then install the protective cap.
- Run the wiper system and check for a correct wiper pattern. The left side blade tip should wipe to a limit of 1.5 in. (38mm) from the outside edge of the glass. The right side blade should overlap slightly into the left side wipe pattern, as shown in the accompanying figure.
- Turn the windshield wipers off, then check for proper park position.