ADJUSTMENT 1963-67 Powerglide
Low band adjustment should be performed at 12,000 mile intervals, or if slipping is encountered.
- Place the selector lever in Neutral.
- Jack the car up to the required working height and support with jackstands.
- Remove the cap from the adjusting screw.
- Lower the left exhaust pipe for clearance.
- Loosen the adjusting screw 1 / 4 turn and hold with a wrench.
- Using an in. lbs. torque wrench, adjust the band to 70 in. lb. and back-off exactly four turns for a band in use over 6,000 miles and three turns for one in use less than 6,000 miles.
The locknut must be held at exactly1/4turn loose during the adjustment. The number of back-off turns must be exactly as stated here.
- Tighten the locknut to 15 ft. lbs.
Band and/or clutch adjustments are not required on Turbo Hydra-Matic 350, 400, or 700R-4 transmissions.