REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- If equipped with an air injection manifold attached to the exhaust manifold, remove the air injection manifold according to the procedure outlined in the Emission Control information.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Soak the exhaust manifold flange studs with penetrating lubricant and remove the flange nuts. Lower the exhaust pipe from the manifold and tie the pipe out of the way.
On later models equipped with a Y pipe, it may be necessary to unbolt the pipe from both manifolds.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the spark plug radio interference shielding, if so equipped. Mark and disconnect the spark plug wires from the plugs and remove the spark plugs and plug heat shields. Disconnect the oxygen sensor, if equipped. Do not allow penetrating oil to contaminate sensor.
- Unbolt the manifold, working from the outer bolts towards the inner bolts to prevent manifold warpage.
On some 1974-76 models, it may be necessary to raise the right side of the engine to remove the right-hand exhaust manifold. To do this, unbolt the fan shroud (but do not remove it), remove the right side engine mount through-bolt, and raise the right side of the engine using a jack with a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan.
- Installation is the reverse of the previo