REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Hydraulic valve lifters very seldom require attention. The lifters are extremely simple in design, readjustments are not necessary, and servicing of the lifters requires only that care and cleanliness be exercised in the handling of parts.
- Remove intake manifold as previously outlined.
- Remove valve rocker arms and pushrods.
- Remove valve lifters. Place valve lifters, rocker arms and pushrods in order so that they may be installed in original location.
- Coat the foot of the valve lifters with Molykote® or its equivalent and install the valve lifters. Make sure lifter foot is convex. A suitable hydraulic lifter removal and installation tool makes the job easier.
- Reassemble in reverse of removal procedures. Check valve adjustment.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Hold the plunger down with a pushrod, and using the blade of a small prytool, carefully remove the pushrod seat retainer.
- Remove the pushrod seat and metering valve.
- Remove the plunger, ball check valve assembly and the plunger spring.
- Remove the ball check valve and spring by prying the ball retainer loose from the plunger with the blade of a small prytool.
- Thoroughly clean all parts in cleaning solvent, and inspect them carefully. If any parts are damaged or worn, the entire lifter assembly should be replaced. If the lifter body wall is scuffed or worn, inspect the cylinder block lifter bore. If the bottom of the lifter is scuffed or worn, inspect the camshaft lobe. If the pushrod seat is scuffed or worn, inspect the pushrod. An additive containing EP lube, such as EOS, should always be added to crankcase oil for run-in when any new camshaft or lifters are installed. All damaged or worn lifters should be replaced.
For proper lifter rotation during engine operation, lifter foot must be convex.To install:
- Place the check ball on small hole in bottom of the plunger.
- Insert check ball spring on seat in ball retainer and place retainer over ball so that spring rests on the ball. Carefully press the retainer into position in plunger with the blade of a small prytool.
- Place the plunger spring over the ball retainer and slide the lifter body over the spring and plunger, being careful to line up the oil feed holes in the lifter body and plunger.
- Fill the assembly with SAE 10 oil, then insert the end of a 1 / 8 in. drift pin into the plunger and press down solid-do not attempt to force or pump the plunger. At this point, oil holes in the lifter body and plunger assembly will be aligned.
- Insert a 1 / 16 in. drift pin through both oil holes to hold the plunger down against the lifter spring tension.
- Remove the 1 / 8 in. drift pin, refill assembly with SAE 10 oil.
- Install the metering valve and pushrod seat.
- Install the pushrod seat retainer, press down on the pushrod seat and remove the 1 / 16 in. drift pin from the oil holes. The lifter is now completely assembled, filled with oil and ready for installation. Before installing lifters, coat the bottom of the lifter with Molykote® or its equivalent.