REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
Do NOT allow the doors to hang unsupported from one hinge.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the roof panel and door trim panel.
- Remove the hinge access cover from the door inner panel.
- For lower hinge removal, remove the cowl kick panel.
- For left side doors and/or hinge removal, for access to the upper hinge attaching screws, remove the instrument cluster, left air distributor duct, headlight switch and the upper hinge access plate.
- For right side doors and/or hinge removal, for access to the upper hinge attaching screws, remove the glove compartment, right air distributor duct and upper hinge access plate.
- If the door to be removed is equipped with power windows, support the door at the floor and disconnect and remove the wiring between the hinge pillar and the door.
- If a hinge is to be replaced in the same position, scribe a matchmark around the inner strap on the door panel and note the number of shims (if any) between the hinge strap and door panel.
- Unfasten the bolts retaining the hinge to the door.
- Remove the bolts holding the hinge to the body, then remove the door assembly from the vehicle, with the help of an assistant.
- If the door has been removed from the vehicle, scribe around the door lock striker, as outlined under Adjustments, and remove the striker from the lock pillar.
- Install the hinges, replacing the same amount of shims (if necessary) and aligning the door hinge straps with the marks made during removal.
- If necessary, adjust the door alignment, as outlined later in this section.
- If equipped with power windows, install and connect the wiring.
- Install the remaining trim panels removed during removal.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Door Lock Striker
See Figure 7
The door lock striker consists of a single metal bolt and washer assembly that is threaded into a tapped floating cage plate located in the body lock pillar. With this design, the door is secured in the closed position when the door lock fork-bolt snaps over and engages the striker bolt.
- To adjust the striker up or down, or in or out, loosen the striker bolt and shift the striker as required, then tighten the striker.
To see if the it is necessary to adjust the striker fore or aft, perform the following:
- Make sure the door is properly aligned.
- Apply modeling clay or body caulking compound to the lockbolt opening.
- Close the door only as far as necessary for the striker bolt to form an impression. Dont close the door all the way, or youll never get the clay (or caulk) out.
- When measuring the striker impression, the striker head should be centered fore and aft. Some tolerances are allowed. There are standard sized spacers available to align the door. If the check indicates that spacers are necessary, follow the remaining steps.
- Matchmark the position of the striker on the body lock pillar using a pencil.
- Insert wrench J-23457 into the head of the striker bolt, then remove the striker.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Make sure the striker is positioned within the matchmark. Tighten the striker bolt to 45 ft. lbs.
The position of the door in the body opening is determined by the striker position and the position of the door on the hinge rear straps. The position of the door is adjusted by sliding the door fore and aft to the limit of the slotted holes in the hinge pillar; in and out adjustment is done by installation and removal of the shims located between the hinge pillar and front straps of the hinges; up and down position is adjustment of the rear hinge straps in the slots of the inner door panel. To adjust the door, perform the following steps:
- Remove the door trim panel, as outlined later in this section.
- After scribing a matchmark on the lock cylinder surface following the circular flange, remove the lock striker bolt. This will allow proper installation position.
- For up and down adjustment, remove the hinge cover (retained by two screws) for access to the upper hinge retaining screws.
For in and out and fore and aft adjustment, it is necessary to first remove following components for access to the hinge retaining screws:
- For the left door, remove the instrument cluster, left cowl kick panel, left air distributor duct, headlight switch, and upper hinge access plate.
- For the right door, remove the glove compartment, right air distributor duct, right cowl kick panel and upper hinge access plate.
- Adjust the doors, as necessary, but never let the door hang on one hinge without being supported.
- Install the striker assembly, trim pads and panels, then lubricate the door hinges with Lubriplate or equivalent.
After any door adjustment procedure, the window and lock pillar should be checked for alignment and adjusted, if necessary. Do not slam the door after adjustment without first checking the door lock and striker engagement, as adjustment may be necessary.