REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1963-67 Vehicles
See Figures 1 and 2
All instruments are contained in one cluster.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the instrument panel harness from the lower steering column switch and disconnect the switch.
- Remove the steering wheel cap and the center nut and washer.
- Remove the steering wheel with a suitable puller.
- Remove the steering column escutcheon screws and the nuts from the column support U-bolt.
- Loosen the lower column clamp at the firewall.
- Loosen the lower, spring stop-clamp and slide the stop and spring down on the shaft.
- Paint or mark the steering shaft and coupling with chalk. Remove the upper coupling clamp bolt.
- Pull the jacket and steering shaft assembly from the coupling and very carefully pull it out through the dash, at the same time sliding the lower spring stop, spring, bearing, and seat off the steering shaft.
- Disconnect the tachometer drive cable, cowl-vent control cable brackets, and headlight motor switch from the instrument cluster.
- Disconnect the parking brake lever support bracket from the cowl crossmember.
- Pull the headlight switch on. Reach under the instrument cluster and push in the detent pin on the switch; remove the knob and shaft.
- Screw out the retaining nut with a wide bladed screwdriver. Remove the bezel and switch assembly from the instrument cluster. Disconnect the wiring connector from the switch.
- Remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch by turning it to the "Lock" position and inserting a wire in the small cylinder face hole. Push the wire in while turning the ignition key counterclockwise, until the lock cylinder can be removed.
- Carefully remove the ignition-switch escutcheon nut using a screwdriver held in the escutcheon slot and tapping it with a small hammer.
- Remove the ignition switch from the instrument cluster and remove all wiring connectors. Unsnap the two locking tangs with a screwdriver and unplug the ignition connector. Disconnect the ignition switch lamp support.
- Disconnect the oil pressure line and the instrument and lamp lead wires. Disconnect the trip odometer cable.
- Remove the cluster retaining screws and pull the cluster slightly forward for access to the speedometer and tachometer cables and the remaining wires.
- Remove the cluster. All instruments are now easily accessible for service. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- To service instruments other than the speedometer and tachometer, follow radio removal procedures. Small instruments are easily removed, after the center cluster is removed from the console.
- To remove the driver-side instrument cluster, first disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Lower the steering column.
- Remove retaining screws and washers at the door opening, dash top, and leftside of the center panel.
- Unclip and remove the left, front console trim-panel.
- Pull the cluster slightly forward for access to speedometer and tachometer cables, headlight switch connectors, and lamp wires.
- Remove the cluster. Speedometer and tachometer may now be serviced.
- Install using a reversal of the removal procedure.
This procedure outlines the removal of the speedometer and tachometer cluster. Refer to the previous Radio Removal and Installation procedure to remove the center/console cluster.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the left air distribution duct.
- Remove the screws attaching the lens to the bezel and remove the lens.
- Remove the cluster attaching screws and pull the cluster slightly forward.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable and lamp connectors as necessary.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.