REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Unbolt the master cylinder from the power booster and position it aside. You do not have to disconnect the fluid lines, unless necessary for access.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the check valve.
- Remove the pushrod end of the valve assembly from the brake pedal by removing the retaining clip.
- Unfasten the nuts from the tie rods.
- Remove the power booster assembly from the cowl.
- Position the power booster assembly to the cowl.
- Install the retaining nuts on the tie rods and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the pushrod end of the valve assembly to the brake pedal and install the retaining clip.
- Attach the vacuum hose to the vacuum check valve.
- Install the master cylinder to the power booster and tighten the retaining nuts.
- If the brake lines were disconnected, bleed the brake system as outlined later in this section.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the ECM, then remove the ECM housing bracket attaching bolt.
- Remove the cruise control cable from the cruise control servo and the servo mounting bracket.
- Disengage the pressure differential sensor electrical connector and the vacuum hose.
- Disengage the master cylinder warning switch electrical connector, then remove the nuts attaching the master cylinder to the power booster assembly.
- Reposition the master cylinder assembly, cruise control cable and the battery cable aside. Be careful not to damage the hydraulic lines.
- Remove the power booster vacuum check valve from the power booster assembly.
- Remove the instrument panel left sound insulator.
- Remove the input pushrod assembly retaining ring and washer from the brake pedal.
- For the VIN P engine, remove the nuts and washers from the tie rods.
- Remove the power booster assembly attaching nuts and washers, then remove the power booster with seals and the ECM bracket attached, while disengaging the input pushrod assembly.
- Install the seals, ECM bracket and power booster assembly to the brake pedal bracket. Have an assistant engage the pushrod assembly onto the brake pedal while installing the booster.
- Install the booster assembly retaining nuts and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Install the washer and retaining clip to the brake pedal, then install the left sound insulator.
- Connect the vacuum check valve to the power booster assembly.
- Position the master cylinder, cruise control cable bracket and the battery cable clip, then install the retaining nuts and tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Engage the master cylinder warning switch electrical connector.
- Engage the pressure differential sensor electrical connection and vacuum hose.
- Connect the cruise control cable to the servo and the mounting bracket.
- Install the ECM housing bracket bolt and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the ECM.
- Connect the negative battery cable.