REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the master cylinder assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the warning switch assembly from the master cylinder.
- Remove the end plug and O-ring from the master cylinder.
- For 1984-91 vehicles, remove the proportioning valve with the ground spring attached.
- For 1992-96 vehicles, remove the electrical bias spring, then remove the proportioning valve assembly along with the O-ring and spacer.
If necessary, gently tap the cylinder body against a piece of wood to dislodge the proportioning valve assembly.
- Do not disassemble the proportioning valve, it is serviced only as an assembly. Also, do not clean the proportioning valve with any solution as the internal components are lubricated with a special grease.
- Lubricate the valve and cylinder bore with clean brake fluid, then install the valve into the master cylinder and bottom it into the bore. On 1984-91 vehicles, the proportioning valve should be installed with the open end first. On 1992-96 vehicles, the valve should be installed with the capped end first.
- Install a new O-ring over the end plug, then install the spring followed by the end plug.
- Tighten the proportioning valve end plug to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the warning switch assembly, hand-tighten only.
- Install the master cylinder assembly to the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable and properly bleed the hydraulic brake system.