REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnectg the negative battery cable.
- For 1989-96 vehicles, disconnect the positive battery cable, then remove the battery from the vehicle.
- If necessary, remove the ECM from its mounting bracket for access to the master cylinder.
- Use a clean turkey baster or a suitable syringe to siphon as much fluid as possible from the master cylinder reservoir. Discard the fluid in the proper manner.
- Remove the hush panel from under the dash.
- Remove the pushrod retaining clip (if equipped), then disengage the pushrod from the clutch pedal.
- Disconnect and plug the hydraulic line from the master cylinder.
- Unfasten the master cylinder mounting bolts from the front of the dash, then remove the master cylinder from the vehicle.
- Position the master cylinder to the front of the dash and secure with the mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm) for 1984-88 vehicles or to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) for 1989-96 vehicle.
- Unplug and connect the hydraulic line to the master cylinder. Tighten the hydraulic line fitting, if equipped, to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Attach the pushrod to the clutch pedal and secure with the retaining clip, if equipped.
- Install the hush panel.
- If removed, install the battery, then connect the positive battery cable.
- Fill the master cylinder with the proper type of DOT 3 brake fluid from a fresh, sealed container.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, then bleed the system at the slave cylinder, as outlined later in this section.
- Carefully lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.