REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Before performing any service on the front or rear TBI unit, you must place the unit in a suitable holding fixture such as J-9789-118, BT-30-15, or equivalent. If you dont place the unit in a suitable fixture, the throttle valve may be damaged.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the TBI unit from the vehicle, and place it in a suitable holding fixture.
Remove the fuel meter cover, as follows:
- Remove the 5 fuel meter cover attaching screws and lockwashers.
- Lift off the fuel meter cover with the fuel pressure regulator (rear unit) or accumulator (front unit), noting their positions for reassembly.
- Remove and discard the fuel outlet passage only. Leave the fuel meter cover gasket on the fuel meter body.
Do not immerse the fuel meter cover (with the pressure regulator or accumulator) in any type of cleaner. Immersion will damage the internal diaphragms and gaskets.
- Remove the foam pressure regulator sealing ring (dust seal) from the rear throttle body.
When removing the injector, be careful to avoid damaging the electrical terminals on top of the injector, injector fuel filter and nozzle. Do NOT use pliers to remove the injector, as this could cause damage. The injector cannot be disassembled and is serviced as a complete assembly only. As it is an electrical component, it should not be submerged in any type of cleaner.
- With the fuel meter cover gasket in place to protect the casting, use a suitable prytool and a fulcrum, as shown in the accompanying figure, to carefully lift the injector until to is free from the fuel meter body.
- Remove the injector. If removing both injectors, make sure to mark them front and rear, so they can be reinstalled in the proper position. The injectors are NOT interchangeable and cannot be switched during installation.
- Carefully rotate the injector fuel filter back and forth, then remove the filter from the base of the injector.
- Remove and discard the fuel meter cover gasket.
- Remove the large O-ring and steel back-up washer in the top counterbore of the fuel meter body injector cavity. Remove the small O-ring located at the bottom of the injector cavity.
- Install the fuel filter on the nozzle end of the injector, using a slight twisting motion to position the filter against the injector base. The filter is cone-shaped. The large end of the filter faces up (toward the electrical terminals), so that the filter covers the raised rib at the base of the injector.
- Lubricate the new small O-ring with automatic transmission fluid. Push the small O-ring on the nozzle end of the injector, pressing the ring up against the injector fuel filter.
Do not reverse this procedure and install the back-up washer and O-ring after the injector is in the cavity. This would prevent sealing of the O-ring in the cavity counterbore.
- Install the steel back-up washer in the top counterbore of the fuel meter body injector cavity. Lubricate a new large O-ring with automatic transmission fluid. Install the O-ring directly above the back-up washer, and press the O-ring down in the cavity counterbore. Make sure the O-ring is located properly, and that it is flush with the top of the fuel meter body casting surface.
- Install the injector in the cavity (making sure it is the proper injector), aligning the raised lug on the injector base with the cast-in notch in the fuel meter body. Push down on the injector until it is fully seated in the cavity (the electrical terminals of injector will be approximately parallel to the throttle shaft.
Install the fuel meter cover, as follows:
- Install a new dust seal (for the fuel pressure regulator) into the recess on the fuel meter body of the rear unit.
- Install a new fuel meter cover and fuel meter outlet gaskets.
- Place the fuel meter cover with the fuel pressure regulator on the rear unit, and the fuel meter cover with the accumulator on the front unit. Apply Loctite® 262, or equivalent thread locking compound to the threads on the fuel 5 fuel meter cover attaching screws for each units. Install the fuel meter cover attaching screws and lockwashers and tighten to 28 inch lbs. (3 Nm). The 2 short screws go next to the fuel injector.