REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- For 5.7L (VIN 8) engines, remove the clutch cover assembly and clutch disc.
- Remove the transmission.
- Unfasten the bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft flange. If may be necessary to use tool J 37096 or equivalent to hold the flywheel in place when removing the bolts. Remove the flywheel.
- Inspect the flywheel for cracks, and inspect the ring gear for burrs or worn teeth. Replace the flywheel if any damage is apparent. Remove burrs with a mill file.
- Install the flywheel. The flywheel will only attach to the crankshaft in one position, as the bolt holes are unevenly spaced.
- Install the bolts and tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the transmission.
- If removed, install the clutch disc and clutch cover assembly.