REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
You will need an assistant to help you remove the glass. The rear hatch window upper hinge and glass are serviced as an assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the rear hatch window.
- Remove the roof panel.
- For 1984-89 vehicles, remove the interior center roof trim panel.
- For 1990-92 vehicles, remove the right and left hatch front trim panels.
- Peel back (both sides at the glass attachment access holes) and reposition the noise control patch.
- If necessary, detach the ground connector for the electric rear defogger, and or the high-mounted stop lamp connector and retainer.
Do not remove the high-mount stoplamp assembly from the upper hinge unless the hatch glass and upper hinge are being replaced.
- With the hatch properly supported, pry the retaining clip out of the hatch lid struts, then pull the struts away from the ball sockets on the lid.
- With an assistant supporting the hatch window, unfasten the remaining retainers and/or or hinge pins. Carefully remove the hatch from the vehicle and place on a suitable workbench.
- If replacing the hatch, transfer the striker, assist rod rear brackets, and high-mounted stop lamp to the replacement hatch.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.