REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner cover and/or intake manifold plenum extension, as necessary.
- Remove the distributor shield.
- Disconnect the ignition switch battery feed wire and tachometer lead (if equipped) from the distributor cap.
- Tag and unplug the coil connectors from the cap. Do NOT use a screwdriver, or equivalent tool to release the locking tabs.
- Remove the distributor cap by using a screwdriver to turn the 4 retaining latches counterclockwise, or unfastening the 4 retaining screws, depending upon the vehicle. Move the distributor cap out of the way.
- Detach the 4-terminal ECM harness from the distributor ECM connector.
- If necessary for access, tag and disconnect the spark plug wires, then release the spark plug wire harness latches, then remove the wiring harness retainer. The spark plug wire numbers are indicated on the retainer.
- Unfasten the distributor clamp and hold-down clamp. Make sure to mark the position of the rotor in relation of the distributor housing, and the distributor housing to the engine. Pull the distributor up until the rotor just stops turning counterclockwise, then mark the rotor position again.
- Remove the distributor from the engine.
If the engine was accidentally cranked, after the distributor was removed, perform the following steps for installation:
- Remove the No. 1 spark plug.
- Place vehicles equipped with manual transmissions in "Neutral", or automatic transmissions in "Park". Place your finger over the No. 1 spark plug hole, then slowly crank the engine until compression is felt.
- Align the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley to "0" (TDC) on the engine timing indicator.
- Turn the distributor rotor to point between the No. 1 and No. 8 spark plug towers.
- Install the distributor by following the remaining steps.
- Install the distributor in the vehicle, positioning the rotor and housing as marked during removal.
- Install the distributor hold-down clamp and bolt, and hand-tighten.
- Attach the 4-terminal ECM harness connector.
- Position the distributor cap over the distributor and secure the 4 latches by turning them clockwise with a screwdriver, or installing the 4 retaining screws, as applicable.
- Attach the coil connectors to the cap, as tagged during removal. Make sure the locking tabs are fastened securely.
- Connect the tachometer lead (if equipped) and the ignition switch battery feed wire to the distributor cap.
- If removed, attach the spark plug wires, as tagged during removal, then install and secure the wire retainers.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Check the ignition timing, as outlined in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.
- Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the distributor shield.
- Install the air cleaner cover and/or intake manifold plenum extension, as necessary.