See Figure 1
- Tag and detach the spark plug wires, and unplug the electrical connectors from the distributor cap and coil.
- Use a screwdriver to turn the 4 latches, then remove the cap and coil assembly from the lower distributor housing.
- Connect an ohmmeter, as shown in test 1, in the accompanying figure. The reading should be zero, or nearly zero. If not, replace the ignition coil.
- Using the high scale, connect the ohmmeter both ways, as shown in test 2 in the accompanying figure. The readings should NOT be infinite. Replace the coil ONLY if both readings are infinite.
- If the coil is good, test the pick up coil, as outlined later in this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the intake manifold plenum extension.
- Tag and disconnect the secondary wires, then remove the retainer(s) from the distributor cap, and position aside.
- Unfasten the 2 coil cover attaching screws, then lift the cover off.
- Remove the 4 coil-to-cap attaching screws and lift the ignition coil and leads from the cap.
- Remove the ignition coil arc seal.
- Clean the cap with a soft cloth and inspect for defects. Replace if necessary.
- Place a new seal on the distributor cap.
- Position the ignition coil to the distributor cap and secure with the retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 13 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm).
- Attach the coil electrical leads.
- Install the distributor cap cover.
- Attach the secondary wires, as tagged during removal and install the retainer(s).
- Install the intake manifold plenum extension.
- Connect the negative battery cable.