REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- If equipped, disconnect the TV cable from the left TBI unit.
- Remove the distributor cap, and position it aside.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- If equipped with a convertible, remove the upper and lower underbody braces.
You will probably need an assistant to help you remove the exhaust system.
Remove the complete exhaust system as an assembly, as follows:
- Disconnect the AIR pipe from the converter.
- Unfasten the AIR pipe clamps from the exhaust manifold.
- Detach the Oxygen sensor electrical connector.
- Unfasten the bolts securing the mufflers to the hangers.
- Remove the hanger bracket from the converter.
- Detach the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds, then carefully remove the exhaust system and place it in a safe place.
- Support the transmission assembly with a suitable jack.
- Remove the bolts securing the driveline support beam at the axle and transmission. Remove the driveline support beam from the vehicle, as outlined in later in this section.
- Matchmark the position of the shaft to the companion flange and disconnect the rear universal joint by removing the trunnion bearing straps. Make sure to tape the bearing cups to avoid dropping and/or losing the bearing rollers.
- There may be some fluid leakage from the transmission output shaft housing, so place a suitable catch pan underneath, then slide the slip yolk from the transmission and remove the shaft.
- Carefully pry the old seal out using a suitable seal removal tool, working around the perimeter of the seal, removing it a little at a time, until the seal can be removed.
- Coat the lip of a new seal with automatic transmission fluid.
- Using a suitable seal installation tool, as shown in the accompanying figure, place a new seal on the tool and install the seal.
- Install the propeller shaft. Make sure to align the shaft with the matchmarks made during removal, remove the tape over the trunnion bearing caps and connect the exposed caps to the companion flange. Tighten the strap retaining bolts to 12.5 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Refer to the procedure located later in this section for driveline support beam installation and tightening specifications.
- Check the transmission fluid level add if necessary. Keep in mind that the transmission should be level when checking the fluid level. Tighten the fill plug to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).