REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- For 1995-96 vehicles, inspect the distributor ventilation system for proper ventilation.
- Be sure the ignition is in the OFF or LOCK position. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) electrical connector.
- Remove the air intake duct.
- Remove the accessory drive belt, as outlined in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.
- Drain the engine cooling system into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the water pump coolant hoses, and allow any remaining coolant to drain.
- Detach the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the water pump and crankshaft balancer, as outlined in Engine & Engine Overhaul of this repair guide.
- Remove the drive belt tensioner.
The spark plug wire boots should be twisted1/2turn in each direction while removing. Do not pull on the wires to remove them from the spark plugs. Pull on the boots or use a tool specifically designed for this purpose.
- Label and disconnect the spark plug wires/harness from the distributor.
- Unplug the 4-terminal ECM/PCM electrical connector from the distributor.
- If equipped, disconnect the distributor vacuum harness from the distributor.
- Loosen and remove the distributor attaching bolts.
- Pull the distributor assembly forward until the driveshaft disengages from the end of the camshaft.
- Mark the top surface of the driveshaft for proper alignment during installation.
Replace the O-rings on the coupling shaft or ignition system performance may suffer. Lubricate the O-rings and the end of the camshaft.
- Install the distributor assembly into position with the driveshaft in the end of the camshaft. Rotate the distributor coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the camshaft sprocket pin. Slide the distributor onto the end of the camshaft until fully seated on the engine front cover.
- Install the distributor mounting bolts. Tighten to 8-9 ft. lbs. (11-12 Nm).
- Attach the 4-pin ECM/PCM connector.
- If equipped, attach the distributor vacuum harness to the distributor.
- Connect the spark plug wires to the distributor, as tagged during removal.
- Install the drive belt tensioner.
- Install the crankshaft balancer and water pump, as outlined in Engine & Engine Overhaul of this repair guide.
- Attach the ECT sensor connector.
- Refill the cooling system with the proper type and amount of coolant.
- Install the accessory drive belt.
- Install the air intake duct and attach the IAT sensor electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.