REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Unbolt the caliper and suspend it, out of the way, with a piece of wire. Do NOT disconnect the fluid line!
- Remove the rotor by pulling it off the lug studs.
- Spread the brake shoes apart using a suitable tool, then remove the adjuster assembly.
- Remove the adjuster return spring by unhooking it.
- Disengage the hold-down springs and pins by pushing down on the spring, and then sliding the pin until it can be removed through the hole at the end of the slot.
- Remove the pins and springs from the shoes.
- Pull the shoe and linings apart enough to clear the hub and bearing, then remove the linings with the shoe return spring still engaged
- Disassemble the adjuster, as shown in the accompanying figure and check the threads for wear.
- Clean and inspect the wear bracket and wear shims for burrs and/or damage. If either one is unserviceable, the mounting plate assembly must be replaced. If just slightly distorted, you can very carefully tap the wear shims back into place.
- Check the rubber boot around the lever stud and replace if damaged.
- Inspect the springs for wear or damage, and replace as necessary.
- Clean all components, EXCEPT the shoe and lining assemblies, with denatured alcohol. Lubricate the wear bracket and shims with a thin coating of silicone grease.
Installation of the parking brake shoes can be tricky, so we provide the factory procedure, and an alternate procedure. Read through both procedures, then decide which procedure may work the best for you. If the first procedure you use doesnt work, try the other one.
To install the parking brake shoe assemblies using the "factory procedure", perform the following:
- Fit the shoe and linings to the mounting plate. The primary and secondary shoes are identical. Make sure the operating lever and strut assembly is position on the wear shims, not down in the hole.
- Use a suitable pair of pliers to install the shoe return spring.
- Install the pins and hold-down springs by fitting to the spring to extend the pin head through the hole in the backing plate, then down into the slot.
To install the parking brake shoe assemblies using the "alternate procedure", perform the following:
- Position the hold-down pin in the slot with a rubber band wrapped around it as shown in the accompanying figure
- Carefully position the shoe and lining assembly over the hold-down pin, being careful not to dislodge the pin.
- Position the hold-down spring over the pin, and while holding the spring in place with a screwdriver, use needle-nose pliers to turn the pin to the installation position.
- Use a suitable tool to install the adjuster return spring.
- Install the adjuster assembly, making sure the star wheel is positioned properly with the star wheel toward the front of the vehicle.
- Install the rotor and caliper, then adjust the shoe and linings as outlined earlier in this section.
- If not already done, install the tire and wheel assemblies, then carefully lower the vehicle.
For shoe and lining adjustment, refer to the procedure located under Parking Brake Cable.