REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
On vehicles equipped with a SIR air bag system, it is imperative that the disarming procedure is followed before repairs, and that the coil centering and rearming procedures are followed after repairs.
- If equipped, disable the SIR system, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove turn signal switch assembly, but do not disconnect or pull the wire harness through the column. Allow the switch assembly to hang freely from the wires.
If necessary, remove the coil assembly as follows:
- Disengage the coil terminal connector from the vehicle harness. Remove the yellow connector shroud from the black connector.
- Remove wiring protector.
- Attach a length of mechanic's wire to the terminal connector to aid in reassembly.
- Carefully pull the wire harness through the column, leaving the mechanic's wire in the column for installation purposes.
- Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
- Remove the buzzer switch and clip.
- Reinsert the key into the lock cylinder, making sure the key is in the LOCK position.
- Remove the lock retaining screw.
- Disengage the Pass Key wire harness connector from the bulkhead connector. If not done already, remove the wiring protector.
- Attach a piece of string or mechanic's wire to the wire connector to aid in reassembly, disconnect the retaining clip from the housing cover and pull the wire up through the column. Leave the length of string or wire in the column in order to pull the new harness into position.
- Remove the lock cylinder.
- Using the length of string or the mechanic's wire, pull the PASS Key wire harness down through the column into the original position and engage the connector.
- Install the lock cylinder set. Snap the wire retaining clip into the hole in the housing.
- Engage the lock cylinder wiring connector to the bulkhead connector.
- Install the lock cylinder retaining screw and tighten to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
- Remove the key and install the buzzer switch with retaining clip, then insert the key and leave in the LOCK position.
- If removed, pull the turn signal switch wiring connector and/or the coil wiring connector through the steering column, connect the harnesses and install the wiring protector.
- Install the turn signal switch assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable and enable the SIR system, if equipped.