REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- If equipped, disable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical , then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the column to instrument panel trim plates and attaching nuts.
- Loosen the steering column mounting bolts.
- Remove the steering column mounting bolts, lower and properly support the column. If access to the switch is not sufficient, remove the column from the vehicle.
Be sure the steering column is supported at all times in order to prevent damage to the column.
- Remove the hex nut and washer head screw securing the dimmer switch to the column.
- If equipped, remove the horn ground strap attached to the dimmer/ignition switch mounting stud.
- If equipped, remove the cable bracket.
- Disengage the switch assembly from the actuator rod, unplug the wiring harness connector and remove the dimmer switch assembly.
- Remove the dimmer and ignition switch mounting stud.
- Remove the ignition switch from the actuating assembly and disengage the switch wire connector.
- Make sure that the key cylinder is in the OFF-LOCK position.
Install the ignition switch to the jacket with the switch in the "OFF-LOCK" position, as shown in the accompanying figure. New switches will be pinned in the "OFF-LOCK" position. Remove the plastic pin after the switch is assembled to the column. Failure to do this may cause switch damage.
Install the switch with the rod in the hole and adjust as necessary. To verify the switch is in the lock position, adjust the ignition switch assembly as follows:
- Move the switch slider to the extreme right position.
- Move the switch slider one detent to the left "OFF-LOCK" position.
- Install a 3 / 32 in. drill bit in the hole on the switch to limit travel.
- Install the ignition switch to the actuator assembly. Install the ignition and dimmer switch mounting stud and tighten to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).
- Remove the drill bit from the switch.
- Install the dimmer switch assembly to the actuator rod.
- If equipped, install the cable bracket and the horn pad ground wire.
- Install and finger-tighten the washer head screw and the hex nut.
- Adjust the dimmer switch and tighten the screw and nut to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).
- Position the steering column, then engage the ignition and dimmer switch connectors. Secure the column in the vehicle
- Connect the negative battery cable and enable the SIR system.