REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
5.7L (VIN 8) Engines
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the intake plenum, as outlined in Engine & Engine Overhaul of this repair guide.
- Disconnect the brake booster line.
- Remove the tube and body assembly at the fitting on the fuel rail.
- Detach the electrical connector from the cold start valve.
- Disconnect the PCV hose.
- Unfasten the cold start valve retaining bolt, then remove the valve from the fuel rail and intake manifold.
If necessary, disassemble as follows:
- Raise the tab on the tube body to clear the electrical connector and unscrew the cold start valve.
- Remove and discard the O-ring seals from the tube and body assembly, cold start valve and fuel rail fitting.
If disassembled, perform the following:
- Lightly lubricate new O-ring seals with clean engine oil and install onto the end of the cold start valve, inside the body of the tube and body assembly, and up against the collar to the tube and body assembly.
- Install the cold start valve onto the tube and body assembly. Screw the valve in until it bottoms, then back off until the hole in the mounting lug on the valve will be aligned properly with the hole in the fuel rail when mounted.
- Bend the tang over the valve to lock it in place.
- Clean the areas around the vale and connection.
- Position the cold start valve into the intake manifold. Install the retaining bolt and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Connect the PCV hose.
- Install the tube and body to the fitting on the fuel rail. Tighten the nut on the fitting to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Connect the brake booster line, then attach the electrical connector to the cold start valve.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then with the engine OFF , turn the ignition to the ON position and check for fuel leaks. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Install the intake plenum, then connect the negative battery cable.