Consult laws in your area before servicing the air conditioning system. In most areas it is illegal to perform repairs involving refrigerant unless the work done by a certified technician
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
If possible, operate the compressor for 10 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm with the A/C set on maximum. This operation is performed to effect return of oil to the compressor from other parts in the system.
R-12 refrigerant is a chlorofluorocarbon which when released in the atmosphere can contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere. Ozone filters out harmful radiation from the sun.
- Discharge the system using a proper recycling/recovery system. Precise control is possible only when using a proper A/C refrigerant recovery station.
- If you do not have access to these tools this service can be performed by a reputable shop.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Slowly loosen the compressor fitting to the compressor. As the screw is being loosened, work the fitting assembly back and forth to break the seal.
- Immediately cover all openings in the compressor and the hoses.
- Disconnect the compressor wires. Remove the compressor bolts and remove the compressor from the car.
On R-4 compressor systems add 6 fluid ounces (180 ml) of 525 refrigerant oil. On DA-V5 and DA-6 compressor systems, add 8 fluid ounces (240 ml) of 525 refrigerant oil.
- Installation is the reverse of removal, use new O-rings coated with refrigerant oil.
- Evacuate and recharge the system using the procedures in General Information & Maintenance .