REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Buick Built Engines
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft assembly bolts.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft assembly.
- To remove the rocker arms from the shaft, the nylon arm retainers must be removed. They can be removed with a pair of water pump pliers, or they can be broken by hitting them below the head with a chisel.
- Remove the rocker arms from the shaft. Make sure you keep them in order. Also note that the external rib on each arm points away from the rocker arm shaft bolt located between each pair of rocker arms.
- If you are installing new rocker arms, note that the replacement rocker arms are marked R and L for right and left side installation. Do not interchange them.
- Install the rocker arms on the shaft and lubricate them with oil.
Install the rocker arms for each cylinder only when the lifters are off the cam lobe and both valves are closed.
- Center each arm on the 1 / 4 in. (6.3mm) hole in the shaft. Install new nylon rocker arm retainers in the holes using a 1 / 2 in. (12.7mm) drift.
- Locate the pushrods in the rocker arm cups and insert the shaft bolts. Tighten the bolts a little at a time to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the valve covers using sealer or new gaskets as previously outlined in this section.
- Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
- Remove the valve cover.
- The rocker arms are individually mounted. Remove the attaching nut from each rocker arm and lift the rocker arm nut, ball, and the rocker arm from the cylinder head. Keep all the assemblies in order so they can be installed in their original location.
- Install the rocker arms and balls on their studs after coating the wear points with white grease.
- Make sure the pushrod is installed in the lifter and the end of the rocker arms, and tighten the rocker arm attaching nut finger-tight.
- Adjust the valves. (See the valve adjustment section.)
See Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Remove the valve cover(s).
- Remove the rocker arm nut and rocker arm ball.
- Lift the rocker arm off the rocker arm stud. Always keep the rocker arm assemblies together and assemble them on the same stud.
- Remove the pushrod from its bore. Make sure the rods are returned to their original bores, with the same end in the block.
- Reverse the removal procedure to install the rocker arms. Tighten the rocker arm ball retaining nut to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm)
See Figures 7, 8 and 9