REMOVAL & INSTALLATIONSee Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the fan shroud, if necessary for clearance.
- Loosen the belt or belts, then remove the fan blades and pulley or pulleys from the hub on the water pump shaft. Remove the belt or belts.
- Disconnect the hose from the water pump inlet and the heater hose from the nipple. Remove the bolts, then remove the pump and gasket from the timing case cover or engine block.
- Check the pump shaft bearings for end-play or roughness in operation. Water pump bearings usually emit a squealing sound with the engine running when the bearings need to be replaced. Replace the pump if the bearings are not in good shape or have been leaking.
- Install the pump assembly with a new gasket. Bolts and lock washers must be torqued evenly.
- Connect the radiator hose to the pump inlet and the heater hose to the nipple. Fill the cooling system and check all points of possible coolant leaks.
- Install the fan pulley or pulleys and the fan blade. Install the belt or belts and adjust for correct tension.