REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Though the backup switch is normally found on the steering column, it is a good idea to check the transmission itself, before you begin to remove the trim panels from the steering column.. If you do not see a backup switch threaded into the transmission housing, then the switch will be located on the steering column.
- Remove any trim panels which may interfere with the switch removal.
- Remove the switch attaching screws.
- Disengage the electrical connector.
- Remove the switch.
- Place the shift lever in Neutral.
- Mount the switch but do not tighten the screws. Engage the electrical connector.
- Move the switch until you can insert a gauge pin, 0.090 in. into the hole in the switch and through to the alignment hole.
- Tighten the screws and remove the pin.
- Step on the brake pedal and check to see that the engine will only start in Neutral or Park.