See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Purge new shocks of air by repeatedly extending them in their normal position and compressing them while inverted.
- Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
- Support the rear axle with the hydraulic jack to prevent stretching the brake hose.
- Remove the nut, retainer, and grommet, or nut and lockwasher, as equipped, which attaches the lower end of the shock absorber. to its mounting.
- Remove the two shock absorber upper attaching screws and remove the shock absorber.
- Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the upper bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) for all models. The nuts that lock the upper bolts on some 1977 and later models are torqued to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm). Tighten the lower nut to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).