REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- On models equipped with a tilt and telescope column, pry up the three tabs on the plastic lock cover. On other models, remove the three screws.
- Depress the steering wheel lock plate and pry the snapring from the shaft.
- Remove the lock plate, canceling cam, and upper bearing spring.
- Remove the turn signal lever. Push the hazard warning knob in and unscrew the knob.
- Remove the turn signal switch screws and pull the switch up out of the way.
- Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
- Insert a long thin prybar into the slot in the upper bearing housing and depress the release tab while pulling the cylinder from the column. On 1979 and later models remove the retaining screw and cock cylinder
- Insert a new lock cylinder into the column after aligning the key on the cylinder with the keyway in the column.
- Press inward on the cylinder while turning it clockwise.
- Install the turn signal switch and screws.
- Install the turn signal lever. Push the hazard warning knob in and install the screw.
- Install the upper bearing, canceling cam and lock plate.
- Install the snapring to the shaft.
- On models equipped with a tilt and telescope column, push down the three tabs on the plastic lock cover. On other models, install the three screws.
- Install the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check all column functions.
- Refer to the Turn Signal Switch Replacement procedure for tilt and telescopic columns, Steps 1-6.
- Position the tilt column in the center position and remove the three turn signal switch screws. Tape the wires to the wire shift bowl in Low. Pull the switch straight up and out, allowing it to hang.
- Insert a small screwdriver or steel strip into the slot next to the turn signal switch mounting screw boss (right-hand slot), depress the spring latch and remove the key lock. On 1979 and later models, remove the retaining screw and the lock cylinder.
- Remove the buzzer switch straight out, depressing the switch clip with pliers.
- Remove the three housing cover screws and cover.
- Install the tilt release lever and place column in full UP position.
- Place a screwdriver in the slot of the tilt spring retainer, press in about 3 / 16 in. and turn counterclockwise. Remove the spring and guide.
The spring is very strong-be careful.
- Push the column in neutral position, push in on the upper steering shaft, remove the inner race seat and race.
- Remove the upper flange pinch bolt, place the ignition switch in the accessory position, remove the two switch mounting screws and switch.
The neutral start switch can be removed at this time, if necessary.
- To install the steering lock, hold the lock cylinder sleeve and rotate the knob clockwise against the stop. Insert the cylinder into the cover bore with the key on the cylinder sleeve aligned with the keyway in the housing. Push the cylinder in until it bottoms. Maintaining a light inward pressure, rotate the knob counterclockwise until the drive section of the cylinder mates with the drive shaft. Push in until the snapring pops into the groove and the lock cylinder is secured in the cover. Check for free rotation.
- When installing the ignition switch, be sure the lock cylinder is in the LOCK position. Put the shift bowl or shroud in the PARK position. Make sure the ignition switch is in the LOCK position. Insert the actuator rod into the switch and assemble the switch to the column.
- The neutral start switch is adjusted with the shift lever in the drive position.