REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8All Non-Tilt Wheels
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and unplug the horn wire connector from the steering column.
- On cars with a standard wheel or optional wood-rim wheel, pull off the cap, remove the three screws and the contact, insulator, and spring. On cars with the bar type horn actuator, remove the screws securing the actuator from the underside of the steering wheel, unhook the lead connector plug, and remove the actuator assembly.
- Loosen the steering wheel nut.
- Apply the steering wheel puller and pull the wheel up to the nut. Now remove the puller, nut and steering wheel.
Location marks are provided on the steering wheel and shaft to simplify proper indexing at the time of installation.
- Install wheel with the location mark aligned with that of the shaft.
- Install the wheel nut and torque to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm)
- Reinstall horn button or actuator assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the attaching screws and lift the pad from the column.
- Disconnect the horn wire by pushing in the connector and turning it counterclockwise.
- Push the locking lever counterclockwise until full release if obtained.
- Mark the lock plate-to-locking lever position and remove the plate and lever.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut and remove the wheel with a puller.
- Install a 5 / 16 in. x 18 set screw into the upper shaft at the fully extended position and lock it.
- Install the steering wheel, observing the aligning mark on the hub and the slash mark on the end of the shaft. Make certain that the unattached end of the horn upper contact assembly is seated flush against the top of the horn contact carrier button.
- Install the nut on the upper steering shaft and torque to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm)
- Remove the set screw installed in Step 7.
- Install the plate assembly finger-tight.
- Position the locking lever in the vertical position and move it counterclockwise until the holes in the plate align with the holes in the lever. Install the attaching screws.
- Align the pad assembly with the holes in the steering wheel and install the retaining screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Make certain that the locking lever securely locks the wheel travel and that the wheel travel is free in the unlocked position.