REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The instrument cluster on these models is not removed as a unit, instead each gauge is removed individually once the cluster bezel and lens are removed.
On models with a column mounted gear shift, when removing the speedometer it's necessary to disconnect the shift indicator cable from the steering column.
Always disconnect the battery before removal of any electrical gauges.1978-87 Cars
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the speedometer at the transducer on models equipped with air conditioning.
- Remove the instrument cluster pad assembly.
- Remove the steering column trim cover.
- Remove the indicator clip from the steering column shift bowl.
- Remove the four screws holding the instrument cluster to the panel adapter.
- Pull the instrument cluster assembly rearward far enough to reach behind the cluster and disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor, if so equipped.
- Remove the instrument cluster.
- Connect the vehicle speed sensor (if equipped) and the speedometer cable.
- Install the instrument cluster and fasten the four retaining screws.
- Install the indicator clip and steering column trim cover.
- Install the instrument cluster pad assembly and connect the speedometer at the transducer.
- Connect the negative battery cable.