REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the belt(s) from the crankshaft pulley.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the right front wheel and inner fender access cover.
- Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt, then remove the harmonic balancer.
- Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the sensor and pedestal from the engine block, then separate the sensor from the pedestal.
- Loosely install the crankshaft sensor to the pedestal.
- Using tool J-37089 or equivalent, position the sensor with the pedestal attached, on the crankshaft.
- Install the pedestal-to-block retaining bolts. Tighten and torque to 14-28 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm).
- Torque the pedestal pinch bolt 30-35 inch lbs. (20-40 Nm).
- Remove tool J-37089 or equivalent.
- Place tool J-37089 or equivalent, on the harmonic balancer and turn. If any vane of the harmonic balancer touches the tool, replace the balancer assembly.
A clearance of 0.025 inch is required on either side of the interrupter ring. Be certain to obtain the correct clearance. Failure to do so will damage the sensor. A misadjusted sensor of bent interrupter ring could cause rubbing of the sensor, resulting in potential driveability problems, such as rough idle, poor performance, or a no start condition.
- Install the balancer on the crankshaft. Install the balancer retaining bolt. Tighten and torque the retaining bolt to 200-239 ft. lbs. (270-325 Nm).
- Install the inner fender shield.
- Install the right front wheel assembly. Tighten and torque the wheel nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the belt(s).
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.