The sd-250 is rated at 45-75 amps during a 10 volt no-load test with the drive pinion spinning at 8,600-12,900 rpm. The pg-250 is rated at 65-90 amps during a 10 volt no-load test with the drive pinion spinning at 2,700-3,200 rpm.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Disconnect the wiring from the starter.
- Remove the flywheel shields.
- Remove the starter retaining bolts and remove the starter from the engine.
- Position the starter against the engine and install the bolts. Torque to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Connect the starter wiring.
- Install the flywheel shields.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the starter for proper operation.
The following procedure is for the model sd-250. On the pg-250, the solenoid and drive end housing must be serviced together, following the numbered steps in Figure 6.
- Remove the starter from the vehicle. If desired, remove the solenoid cover to inspect the contact disc.
- Remove the screw at the field strap.
- Remove the bolts from the solenoid.
- Remove the solenoid by rotating 90 degrees.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.